6 Tips for Maintaining Your Lash Extensions
Since I was a little girl I can recall my mother’s pursuit of longer, fuller lashes. Neither my mom nor I are blessed with naturally beautiful lashes and there’s only so much mascara can do, so a few months ago I took the plunge and had lash extensions applied. Spoiler alert: I absolutely love them and am completely addicted!
Before deciding on lashes, know that they are a true investment. It takes a lot of care and commitment to maintain your lash extensions, but if you’re willing to put in the time and money, you will absolutely love them! That being said, when I went in for my first appointment, subsequent fills, and was learning the necessary aftercare to maintain my lash extensions, I had a number of questions and, of course, wanted to know how to prolong the life of my lash extensions. If you’ve ever wondered about lash extensions, here you’ll find a bit of what to expect and my tips for maintaining your lashes!
Your First Appointment & Lash Touch-Up
When I went to get my lash extensions applied, I didn’t know what to expect in terms of application. The application process is easy and comfortable – you’re able to sit back and relax with your eyes closed while a technician applies your lash extensions. Your first appointment for a full set of lashes will be approximately 2 hours long.
Lash extensions are applied to your individual natural lashes and should shed as your natural lashes shed. Because each person’s lash cycle is different, to maintain your lash extensions you’ll need a touch-up every 2-4 weeks, similar to the maintenance of acrylic nails.
6 Tips for Maintaining & Prolonging the Life of Your Lashes
- Research your lash professional. It may seem easy to hop on the Internet and find a lash lounge or buy a Groupon for a discounted rate, but it’s essential to choose a reputable lash salon to apply your lashes. If not applied properly, your natural lashes can become damaged. (If you’re in Washington state, I highly recommend Wink Lash Extensions in Bellevue).
- Avoid wetting your lashes for the first 48 hours after lash application. Once your lashes have been applied, the adhesive still continues to set for the following 48 hours – this applies to both your first appointment and subsequent lash fills. It’s important to limit your exposure to water, extreme heat, or steam following the application so that the adhesive can continue to dry. Before going in for your application plan accordingly; allowing your lashes a full 48 hours to fully set will help prolong the life of your lashes.
- Avoid pulling, rubbing or sleeping on lashes. For me, this was one of the harder tips to grow accustomed to, but any extra stress on your lashes can cause them to prematurely fall out. It’s similar to wearing makeup all the time and not wanting to mess it up.
- Avoid oil-based products. Products that you use on and around your eye-area that are oil-based may cause your lash extensions to fall out prematurely. For example, using a gel eyeliner versus a pencil liner. If you make a conscious effort to use oil-free products around your eye area, your lash extensions should last longer.
- Comb your lashes regularly. After sleeping or showering, I often find that my lashes are criss-crossed, so combing your lashes regularly with a lash styling wand (essentially, a mascara brush without the mascara), can help to keep the shape between fills.
- Treat your lashes with care! Ultimately, remember no matter what you’re doing, treat your lashes with care.
Kudos to you for being able to do this! I am still working on making my nails nicer and getting into the nail salon!
You should definitely try lash extensions one day! They’re so much fun! My lash extension salon does your nails at the same time as they do your lashes so it’s only an hour out of your day!