27 Lessons from My 27th Year
I’m writing this in the last few hours of my 27th year. It’s funny ’cause I know that tomorrow (or when you’re reading this: today), 28 won’t feel any different than 27.
Today we’re taking a brief break from giveaways (don’t worry – they’ll be back tomorrow!), and instead we’re going to talk a bit about the lessons learned in my 27th year of life. Let’s get to it.
- Feel. Don’t become numb to happiness, sadness, or even the basics like how the wind ruffles your hair.
- Make time for people who are special in your life.
- Find your creative outlet.
- Don’t let other people’s opinions about who you are, define you.
- Take care of yourself.
- Stand up for yourself.
- Stand up for others who may not be able to.
- The time is now. Not tomorrow.
- Learn how to say “no”.
- Work hard, play harder.
- Step outside your comfort zone. That’s where life begins.
- Learn to love yourself. Yes, your body too.
- Be bold.
- Surround yourself with people who love, support, and inspire you.
- Find a mentor for your career, your passion, your interests.
- Prioritize your life with the categories and activities you love. Do those things.
- Splurge on something nice for yourself. But don’t splurge TOO much.
- Be present. Don’t become so attached to your phone that you forget to live in the real world.
- Your body is the greatest instrument you’ll ever own. Use it, care for it, love it.
- Find opportunity in everything.
- Travel. Explore. Adventure.
- Invest in quality shoes. They’re worth it, believe me.
- Stop using the excuse that you’re too young. Believe in yourself and get it done.
- Love and be loved.
- Perfection isn’t everything. We all have flaws and imperfections.
- Above all, be you.
My 27th year was certainly a whirlwind and one of the most exciting yet. It brought so much to my life – here’s just a few:
- After five years at my company, I made the decision to move on
- We took a spontaneous trip to Hawaii
- I hiked the scariest hike of my life
- I ran for 30 days straight
- I challenged myself to 30 days with 0 sugar
- We hosted our first holiday and I created a (beautiful) tablescape
- We had our first family photo session
- Jon and I went to England and Scotland
- Tema Athletics invited me to model for them on New Day Northwest
I can’t wait to see what 28 brings me! I’m sure it’ll be a good one.