7 Secrets to Staying Healthy this Holiday Season
Can you believe it?! The holiday season is officially up on us. It seems like time has flown by this year, probably because I was consumed in all things wedding planning this summer and fall, and then when I came back from my honeymoon it was November. And now here we are, through Thanksgiving and heading into December – CRAZY!
With all of the hustle and bustle I’ve had this year, I know it’s important for me to stay focused on my overall wellness to ensure that I stay healthy this holiday season, and I’m sure you feel the same way. I mean, whose lives aren’t crazy busy these days?!
But don’t worry, I’ve got you covered and I’ve partnered with Kaiser Permanente to bring you my 7 secrets for staying healthy this holiday season:
- Stay moving. The holidays are a busy time of year and with colder temperatures, less daylight, and traveling near and far to be with friends and family, it can be easy to fall out of your normal fitness routine. Instead, get creative with at home workouts, taking walks, or challenging yourself to try something new. Read more winter fitness tips from Kaiser Permanente here.
- Don’t sweat over the holiday meals. Big holiday meals get a bad rep for undoing all of your progress, but good news is, a few larger meals throughout the holiday season won’t undo all of the hard work you’ve done! Enjoy those special meals and remember that you’re in control of what and how much you eat. If you’re looking for more healthy holiday eating tips, check out this article.
- Get plenty of rest. The key to staying healthy anytime of year is catching plenty of zzz’s at night! Don’t let the stress of the holiday season keep you from sleep!
- Visit a CareClinic and get your flu shot. A quick, easy, and pain free way to stay healthy throughout the holiday season (which coincides with flu season!) is to get a flu shot and be on your way so that neither the flu nor the flu shot keeps you from living your best life. Read more about the Kaiser Permanente CareClinic experience here.
- Proactively manage your holiday stress. Take steps before the busyness of the holidays catch you off guard to prepare for the stress of the season. Here’s a list of great tips that can help you plan for and manage through any holiday related stress.
- Seek help if you need it. The holidays can be a stressful time, and that can sometimes trigger depression. Don’t be afraid to get help by asking your doctor for counseling or medicine to help.
- Escape the hustle and bustle. Set aside time for you! Whether it’s a workout, a coffee date, a massage, or maybe a weekend getaway, remember to take time for yourself as needed.
So, as we head into the busy part of the holidays: stay warm, stay happy, and stay healthy. Enjoy the extra chances to spend time with family and friends. And don’t sweat those extra cookies you snuck after that holiday party!
Do you have any secrets to staying well throughout the holidays that you’d add to this list?
Created in partnership with Kaiser Permanente
I love all these tips! Getting help mentally is so important too, as this time of year is hard on a lot of people.
Great tips- sleep is the one of the biggest ones for me! I tend to get much less sleep during the holidays with work & all the busyness, but then I’m much more prone to illness by the time Christmas hits, so trying to be better about that this year!
I’m still learning to adjust my body and mind to this gloomy Seattle winter. Great tips!