5 Fall Boots for Wide Calves
It might still be nearing 80 degrees in Seattle but I’m ready for fall. I’ve slowly been reorganizing my closet, switching out my summer sandals with my fall boots and bringing out scarves and sweaters in anticipation of the season shift from summer to fall. I’m ready whenever you are, Fall!
When I got back from Florida last weekend I stopped in at Nordstrom to look at some beautiful new boots. Walking into Nordstrom, and most any retailer this time of year, there are so many options for boots -short ones, tall ones, leather ones, furry ones. I was hopeful that maybe this year there would be a tall boot that fit my calf. Even though I’ve lost weight, and subsequently some inches around my calves, I was not able to get my calf inside a regular size boot. But luckily more and more retailers and designers are offering a selection of boots that are available in wide calves – or are just stretchy enough that you might be able to make it work.
Here are my top 5 picks for fall boots for wide calves:
- Frye ‘Jayden’ Buckle Back Zip (Wide Calf): My first pair of Frye boots were the Veronica Slouch Boots in wide calf. These are still my favorite boots ever (and if you can hunt down a pair I highly recommend buying them)! Frye boots are know for their durability and quality and I’ve wanted Frye boots for just about as long as I can remember but I’ve been disappointed in years past because they just didn’t fit my calves. I’m so glad they’re finally available! They’re boots that will last forever – my mom still has her Frye boots that she bought about 30 years ago. Make sure to take care of them and you can wear them for years to come! (Available in black, redwood and slate, and regular sizes).
- Sam Edelman ‘Penny’ Boot (Extended Calf): One of the things I hate about boots made for larger calves is you typically have to wear a boot that features elastic or stretchy material on the back – you have to give up the beautiful structure of a leather boot. This Sam Edelman pair doesn’t skimp on the details. It’s a full leather boot with a zipper! (Available in whiskey and black, and regular sizes).
- Steve Madden ‘Creation’ Boot: This boot is a great option and the price is reasonable! It features an elastic back piece for wider calves and it goes to the knee. (Available in black and tan).
- Steven by Steve Madden ‘Intyce’ Boot: The Intyce boot has been around for ages and is a very popular option for wider calves. These boots do not hit as high up on the leg as the Steve Madden ‘Creation’ boots, but they do cover the entire calf. I recommend asking for a few extra holes punched in the upper strap to accommodate for larger calves. As you wear them they will stretch out more. (Available in cognac and black).
- Cole Haan ‘Rockland’ Boot: The Rockland is a great boot made with fine craftsmanship that make it incredibly comfortable to wear all day long. The backing is a stretchy material which will stretch to fit larger calves. (Available in chestnut and black).
What other boots would you add to the list? There are a number of other retailers out there that carry boots for wide calves as well. You can always check with your department store on what boots they carry or recommend for wide calves and don’t forget to check out Lane Bryant, Torrid, DUO boots, and other specialty retailers.